Monday, August 6, 2012

the art of deception

Photobucket
Lil' Red started catching imaginary fish in the bathtub a few months ago.
It was great fun and he would release them and catch new ones every bath time.
We got some plastic fish at a birthday party and he had fun with those too.
The other day he tells me he wants some REAL fish.
I tell him I will buy him TWO fish, if he can keep dry at night for 25 days.
Keeping dry at night has been a challenge for him that I try to deal with with only positive
reinforcements. The deal has always been that if you wake up dry you get ice cream for breakfast.
My ice cream has mainly been consumed by me, not him.
So the first night he wakes up dry. Yay!! He asks for his fish.
 I tell him he still has a bunch of night left and he's not happy about that.
The second morning he comes in and tells me he's dry again. I give him high fives and tell him I'm so proud of him. As I'm going about my morning routine of making his bed I notice a slightly wet Pull up shoved behind his dresser. The stinker changed and hid the evidence. I scold him for being dishonest and try to leave it at that.
Next morning, dry again. I'm a little skeptical but I don't see anything to prove otherwise.
So last night I made sure to count the Pull ups in the drawer (only 2 left) before I head to bed.
This morning he's dry again, he tells me while I'm still slightly unconscious.
I get up and check his drawer and sure enough, only 1 is there.
He finally admits to his dirty tricks and shows me where the last 2 nights of  wet ones are.
Ummm, I'm pretty sure those would be stinking up my whole house soon.
So tonight he says he doesn't want Pull ups, just undies.
Fingers crossed, but I'm pretty sure I'll be doing some laundry tomorrow.