Wednesday, October 7, 2009

so berry cute

strawberry shortcake

6 years ago I painstakingly made this adorable costume for Big Sis. I spent hours hand
stamping strawberries onto pink fabric and constructing a giant puffy hat. I dyed stripes
on her tights and diamonds on her apron. And to top it all off I made felt boots to
cover her shoes.
Time consuming? YES
Worth it? YES

For me its a challenge to see if I can figure out how to recreate things with some fabric,
a needle and some thread (and NO patterns!). I don't really sew very much, so its
rewarding for me to know that I can accomplish projects that intimidate me at first.
After making this costume though, I pretty much figured that I could never top it. So
I didn't even try again. I opted for store bought costumes for the last few years.

But this year I got the itch.

The itch to challenge myself once again.

I'm halfway done, but great challenges still wait for me.
Can I do it?
Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Big Sis and Lil' Red are counting on me to do it.
(actually Lil' Red could care less. In fact he hates it!)

Here's a sneak peek.

costumes

7 comments:

Dejah said...

Oh my Goodness, you are too creative! That is adorable. I can't believe you can just create these things out of your mind! I'm excited to see this years.

Shelly & Brandon said...

Jessie and Woody?

Sara said...

love it! Will you make one for Noah too? :)

Dalene said...

I love it already! Matthew and Darby will go nuts over them! Have I told you before how amazing you are?

AB said...

I wish I wanted to sew. I just bought Nash a Buzz costume. Chase can follow him around.

Chelsea said...

wow! That is the cutest costume I have EVER seen! Can't wait to see what they are this year!

DarbyM said...

How did I just NOW find your blog... I can't wait to see the finished product! We were this gang last year and yes all the hard work is soooo worth it!