Wednesday, May 23, 2012

her birthday story

May 1st
I had a scheduled induction set for May 1st. I would be 39 weeks then and already dilated, so my Dr agreed to the induction since I've never gone into labor on my own and I don't have the patience to wait it out.
After a very long and busy day the day before, I went to bed too late and was woken up at 4 am with mild contractions. I have never had spontaneous contractions before so I started freaking out a little. After a half an hour I decided sleep was out of the question now and got up to shower and get ready for my big day. I was  so happy when contractions stopped after I was in the shower.
We head to the hospital and arrived just after 7 am. By the time all the paper work and blood work were done its about 8:45 and we can finally start the induction. I get my Pitocin going and the Dr comes in shortly after to break my water.
Just after 9 am my mom stops by after taking lil 'red to preschool with the sad news that my Grandpa had passed away that morning. It's news that I didn't want to hear that day, but I hope he got to meet our little one in Heaven before her spirit joined us.

IMG_8339-edit

I ride out my contractions on my own a little longer than I normally do and was really ready for my epidural when it came at about 11 am. They also check me and I'm already 6 cm. The nurse starts getting everything out for the delivery because she thinks things are going really fast.
The nurses tell me that they will check me again at 1pm to see my progress. It's 12:30 and I know I'm almost there so they check  again and I'm right. By 1pm we are all ready to deliver. After a few small pushes they notice the baby's heart rate drops so they put me on oxygen. We have to wait a few minutes for my friend, who came to take pictures, to come back because she starting feeling awful. As soon as she returns it takes just a few good pushes and her head is out. I hear the Dr counting to three and realize that's how many times her cord was wrapped around her little neck. As the rest of her slides out, the Dr tells me me to reach down and grab her.

Birth-4-edit
Photobucket

It is a surreal moment as I reach for her and pull her to my chest. Her poor face is bright purple from the cord choking her, so my moment with her is short.

Photobucket

As they quickly check her out they find her breathing is labored and call for a respitory  therapist to see her.
He decides she needs to go to the nursery for a breathing treatment to see if that will help her. As she leaves with her daddy by her side I am left praying that she will be okay.


Photobucket

After about a half an hour I get word back that she is doing fine now and my prayers were answered.
When she returns to my room I can finally hold her and really see her for the first time.

IMG_8353-edit 
We spend the next hour bonding skin to skin. I couldn't believe she was in my arms finally!
We are so grateful that our little one is here safely and is strong and healthy. She is such a sweet blessing to our family.

3 comments:

Jen said...

What a beautiful birthday story! She is just adorable! Can't wait to meet her!
love you!
xx

Dalene said...

Okay, so I love the professional pictures in the hospital! Why didn't you tell me about this BEFORE Kaia was born? What awesome photos! The story had me sick to my stomach in anxiety. I'm not good in hospitals, and apparently reading about them, either! Love you all!

Dejah said...

That last picture is beautiful! What a special moment!