Thursday, January 28, 2010

one year

Exactly one year ago I started this little blog.
I didn't have a clue what I was doing, but I needed to document our
lives and a blog forced me to do that a little better.
But over the last year I have learned a lot.
About me, about you, about complete strangers.
Blogging allows us to let people into our lives, that was not possible before this cyber world started. We are now posting to the world our joys, our fears, our accomplishments, our failures, and our hopes and dreams.
I have been allowed to see and learn more about people I love.
I have also been so inspired and uplifted by complete strangers.
I think blogging is a form of therapy for some of us. A way for us to speak our minds and
reach out for support.
So thank you for sharing your lives with me and being a part of mine.

So for my blog-aversary I'll share a little secret.
I wish I was a "foodie"(AKA- a food blogger).

But I am far too lazy and self critical to ever accomplish that.
And I don't want to gain 20 pounds testing delish recipes.

So for today, humor me and let me be a "foodie".


Photobucket

Those who know me well know that I'm a cupcake lover.
I have tested many recipes and have had many failures end up in the trash.
Cupcakes are tempermental little things, one wrong move and you have a sunken mess.
But this recipe for chocolate cupcakes is my favorite.
They bake up with perfect domes (see above photo) and taste divine.
But one important thing I've learned is you need to use really good cocoa powder.
I use to roll my eyes at Martha when she said it, but it really is true!


Photobucket

I like to use Valrhona cocoa (available at Whole Foods) when making these.
You can see from this picture how much richer it is in color. And guess what.
It tastes richer too. It really makes all the difference.

Chocolate Cupcakes

Makes 1 dozen.
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, sifted
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, add milk and vanilla extract; stir to combine and set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low, add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add flour mixture in three parts, alternating with milk mixture; beat until just combined. Add cocoa powder and beat until just combined.
  3. Fill each muffin cup two-thirds full with batter. Transfer to oven and bake at 350 until a cake tester inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Photobucket
I also like to fill my cupcakes. Use whatever you love. A filling also helps to keep a cupcake moist. These brown beauties got filled with white chocolate candy-cane ganache.

Photobucket

Top off with your favorite icing and a little decoration and they look like an overpriced cupcake!

Be sure to come back tomorrow.
It's somebody's Birthday!!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I love foodies. those cupcakes look so yummy!

AB said...

These look like the yummy cupcakes I got for Christmas! You'd be an excllent "foodie" and I'd subscribe!!!...wait, I already do. :-)

Dejah said...

I always wondered how you filled your cupcakes.

Dalene said...

I need lessons from you, for real.